Well I am finally finished my entry in Leila’s journal. As I mentioned on another page, it was very hard to be the person to complete the first page. It was a lot of pressure to pick a great topic and make an excellent piece of art. These skinny pen people have shown up in my own day-to-day art journal on a number of occasions and I thought…why not bring them to life again in this entry.
The theme of Leila’s journal was Dreams and Treasures. The first thing that came to mind when deciding what my entry would be is that I am dreaming of a happy blended family. It was the first thing that popped into my mind and therefore I thought I would go with it. If anyone else out there reading this has a blended family, they will know that this wish or dream is sometimes elusive. None the less I am wishing that the dream will come true for us some day.
The pen and ink drawing depicts myself on the right with my two children and my partner on the left with his two. I realized afterwards that none of us seem to be particularly happy. I guess this is our reality at the moment. Some days are better than others of course.
I used my fine sharpie marker to outline my pencil drawings and then used water-colour crayons to fill in the figures. After colouring the individual blocks in I went over the pencil with water and added some acrylic wash to those areas that I wanted the colours to be more vibrant. I am not sure why I filled the background up with bubbles. They are filled in with a clear acrylic shimmer paint which does not register well in the scan unfortunately. All I can think of is that I LOVE blowing bubbles – even at my age.
Oh yes! I should say that I framed up the drawing with a border that was meant to suggest a wooden picture frame. It is not realistic looking because it was meant to be just a suggestion of a frame. I still have to write what my dream is somewhere on the picture frame element. Maybe in the form of a metal plate like you might find on some pictures at the bottom. I am going to try to finally mail it off tomorrow as I have been holding onto it for a bit too long. Must keep the journal pass flowing. Must! must! must!
- Art Fun with Sharpie Markers! (lezgetreal.com)
- Sketch Book – Watercolour Update (tinroofpress.wordpress.com)
- Dreams (socyberty.com)
- Lucid dreams. Dreaming beyond limits (everydaywandering.wordpress.com)
- Blended Family Advantages & Disadvantages (johnofgawler.wordpress.com)
- journal challenge days # 215-219 (agirlandherbrush.wordpress.com)
- ☆ Life Book [Week 15] (kirstinmcculloch.blogspot.com)
- Second Floor Challenge #6: Pencil (nathaliesstudio.com)
- Icad #26 (blissfulart.wordpress.com)
- Secret (staticpencil.blogspot.com)
- Great Hardbound Art Journals New from Strathmore – Perfect for Visual Journaling (rozwoundup.typepad.com)